The 2020 International Conference on River Connectivity (Fish Passage 2020), incorporating the AMBER & FITHYDRO EVENT - SMART WAYS TO IMPROVE CONNECTIVITY, will bring together experts, managers, stakeholders and companies from around the world to discuss pressing issues on ecohydraulics, ecohydrology and fish passage problems, solutions and future avenues of research.
The conference is aimed to be as wide-reaching as possible by being relevant to a variety of attendants. Target audiences are: engineers, ecologists, biologists, managers, practitioners, NGOs, private companies, consultants, students and policy and decision makers. This event aims at increasing research and professional networking and is an excellent opportunity to connect future partners.
The AMBER & FITHYDRO Event will explore the tensions caused by the need to draw water and generate hydropower from European Rivers and the impacts dams and other barriers have on ecosystems and habitats, as well as the way novel technologies and adaptive management can help restore stream connectivity in more efficient ways.
Fish Passage 2020 will verse on a wide range of topics during three days with concurrent sessions in engineering, ecohydraulics, biology, management, and social issues. The organizing team has extensive knowledge and experience on fish passage research and it benefits from the support of several institutions that combined guarantee the success of Fish Passage 2020.
The conference will feature the following key themes:
- Fish passes for non-salmonids
- Holistic fish passes
- Tidal barriers and fish pass solutions
- Fish pass attraction
- Cost-effective innovations
- Downstream migration
- Fish friendly turbines and guiding systems
- Dam and other barrier removal solutions and case-studies
- River connectivity enhancement
- Numerical modelling and computational solutions
- Monitoring and technology
- Environmental DNA
- Fish migration
- Fish swimming energetics and behavior
- Fish physiology
- Decision support systems and management approaches
- Hydropower and fish management
- Ecosystem services evaluation
- Social and economic issues associated with river connectivity
- Policies to improve fish passage: How are fish migration aspects incorporated into policies?
The conference will also feature plenary talks from recognized experts, special thematic sessions and poster sessions. Short courses on relevant subjects will be available before the conference and technical and social excursions will be available after the conference.
The possibility of submitting selected contributions to the conference in the form of a research article to a target scientific-related journal will be offered. The peer review process will be carried out as normal but the accepted contribution will be gathered in a special issue on “Challenges and solutions for fish passage”.
All conference contributions and communications will be held in English to allow all participants to take full advantages of the science being conveyed.
Check back soon to view the conference promotional brochure.